- Emulsions are used in bituminous road construction work. They are especially helpful for maintenance and patch repair works.
- Emulsion can be used in wet weather even when it is raining.
- Also emulsions have been used in soil stabilization, particularly for stabilization of sands in desert areas.
- A rapid setting type emulsion is suitable for surface dressing and penetration macadam type of construction.
- Medium setting type is used for premixing with coarse aggregates.
- In case of fine aggregates, the surface area of aggregate is more and as a result long duration of time is required to mix the emulsion.
- Therefore slow setting emulsion is preferred which gives sufficient time for uniform blending of the mix.
ADVANTAGES & LIMITATIONS OF BITUMEN EMULSION
- The main properties of bitumen are preserved in emulsion mixes since emulsions do not need hot mixing. Generally cold mixing or just slightly warming the ingredients of the emulsion mix are done for construction of pavements.
- Emulsion can be used in humid weather even when it is raining.
- Emulsions possess anti-stripping properties.
- Emulsions with lower viscosity or thinner consistency improve spreadability and allows better coating of the bitumen on the surface of aggregate.
- There is no depletion during laying and storage.
- Since emulsions are water based, there is less effect on the environment.
- It is the least energy intensive of all construction material: there is no need to heat.